Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Twisted, Messed Up Tango

Ladies-
As you read this, I need to you silently put one hand in the air if you have spoken negatively of another woman in the past twenty-four hours. I would be lying if I told you both of my hands weren't straight in the air. Why is it that we feel the need to constantly talk about someone behind their back? Some have better excuses than others, but when it comes down to it, they are merely excuses. Suzie said something about my boyfriend. Did you see what Jane was wearing yesterday? O man.. I could hit Margret for what she did to me! All of these, minus the names, are phrases I hear almost every day. The reality of the matter is that no one really cares what you say about someone. We all look like complete idiots when we open our mouths about someone else, because guess what?? It doesn't make us better than anyone!

If we claim to be daughters of the Almighty King, then isn't it about time we started acting as such? If we really love our friends as much as we say, isn't it time to encourage them? I get so frustrated when we choose to spend our time gossiping about someone. Does me talking about a comment someone else made that hurt my feelings make the comment somehow disappear? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that, in fact, it makes it worse. It just fuels the fire.

I'm not saying I am completely innocent of such behavior. I am just as guilty as anyone, but I am saying that we need to fix it.

"Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it."
1 Peter 3:9-11

"If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."
James 1:26


It's time to start living as daughters in the light of our Creator. It's time to treat each other with respect. It's time to keep our comments to ourselves and instead of speaking poorly to one another, we must lift each other up. I challenge you to be the change in your office, your school or even your family. Relationships are breaking all over the place, and it's partly due to our inability to properly respect and love one another with the love of Christ.

I hope this finds you having an incredible week! I love you all more than you know!
Forever His,
EmilyJo

No comments:

Post a Comment