Thursday, January 7, 2010

With a heavy heart...

Today we lay to rest Christopher Lane Drew. He was 26 years old. His funeral was one of the saddest ones I've ever experienced, but at the same time it was the most joyful one. Some words used to describe him were joyful, he never met a stranger and practice with great success The Fruits of the Spirit. As I sat in the congregation, in the back row of course, I couldn't help but think what people might say about me at my funeral. There wasn't a dry eye in the room as different witnesses of his life shared testimonies and stories of Chris. Son of Gary and Ann. Brother to Steffi and Abbey. Husband to Sarah. He was so loved by so many people. I think you could judge a person's life based on the things said at their funeral. Chris paid attention to small details. It was his mission to help everyone he saw. Everyone he met became an instant friend.

To the family- My heart is heavy, thinking about the position you're in. Saying goodbye to such a good man is bittersweet to say the least. We can rest assured that Chris is dancing with the angels, and praising Jesus face to face. I see him as lucky! He gets to actually bow at the throne of the Most High, where he will no longer have seizures, not longer have to take any kind of medication again, and he has become a flawless beautiful, healthy being. What a blessing these pictures are!

To the friends- You have some big shoes to fill. My prayer is that you wouldn't let his spirit and outlook on life end here. May you carry on his dreams and his heart through the rest of your days. May you feel him with you every step of the way.

And finally to Sarah- You know, when you're a little girl you dream of getting married. You dream of the flowers and the dress and the food and DJ, but most of all you dream about the man who will be standing at the other end of the isle. When you find him, you feel complete, and I can tell that's what Chris did for you. I didn't know him very well, but judging from the smile on both of your faces in your wedding pictures and by the way he was described today, I can tell you'll never be the same. You never once picture your wedding to be just a short year before your husband's funeral, but I choose to believe this situation will turn out great. God doesn't do anything that isn't great. So right now, it hurts and your whole life is now turned completely upside down, but in the end it's going to be great. It may be a year from now or it may be ten years from now. But God has you in His grip. He has you right where He wants you. I fervently pray that His hand would guide you, and His love would pour an abundance of peace and grace over you. God doesn't bring us to anything we can't handle. I can't imagine going through this, but you're not alone. Praying for you daily!

My heart is heavy tonight, however, I rejoice in the fact that Chris is now with his Savior, eternally! Praise be to Him!

Pray for Sarah and her family, along with the Drew family. They are in desperate need of the comfort that only comes from the Body! May the Lord be their everything now. May they lean on Him!

Make sure you hug your loved ones extra tight tonight! I love you all more than you know!
Forever His,
EmilyJo

No comments:

Post a Comment