Monday, August 24, 2009

I Want to be a Mary!

If you know me at all, you know that one of my all time favorite passages is the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42

"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."


According to The Message, it says "Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said". I long to be a "Mary". I so often get caught up in the rush of the day that when God speaks to me I simply tell him "O hi! I'll have to talk to you later", like a phone call from someone I didn't really want to talk to. Like last post, I keep feeling so convicted of the fact that God is worth so much more than my excuses. I often use the excuse of serving Him for not spending time with Him. You know what I'm talking about. The going to church three times a week and leading a small group, all because you like the illusion of having it all together, when really your world is shattered because you never sit down and spend as much as five minutes being still and hearing what He has to say. When is the last time I was still. I mean, I am Emily, meaning I'm rarely quiet, but honestly I can't remember a time when I was just silent, for once, without a word to say. I find beauty in the quiet. The times where it can just be me and God and all of the sudden nothing in the world matters anymore, for a split second everything is right and ok.

Today, I challenge you to be still. To "hang on every word He says". God has a HUGE plan for today. I think we can all learn a lot from Mary.

I better get going! First day of work, here I come! I love you all more than you know!
Forever His,
Emily Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment